Monday, May 25, 2015

what to wear for a fancy events (no heels or dresses!)

I admire anyone who can wear heels comfortably for longer than 3 hours. Personally, I can't, and haven't yet mastered how to walk on anything other than concrete. Don't even get me started on cobblestone.
Other days you just don't feel very dress-like - they definitely have more potential for wardrobe malfunctions.

If you have a fancy event coming up, and don't want to wear heels or a dress, keep reading for three outfits made for you!
collared shirt + dark wash jeans + oxfords
pros: lots of movement, can be dressed down for hanging out after, looks good w hair up or down
cons: can get hot with a tank under, collars + jackets are difficult, half tuck falls out
wear to: business events, conferences, after-work meetings
details: shirt - hollister, jeans - american eagle, oxfords - dv by dolce vita


A few months back, I had a wedding, and wore this. I know, a shirt and pants to a wedding? But this was a special occasion, as I was working as a photography assistant, and needed maximum movement, while still looking put together.


I was able to put my hair into a ponytail (this was pre-lob) while maintaining the look, and didn't risk wardrobe malfunctions. 


I considered wearing flats at first, but decided I didn't want to risk the embarrassment of losing a shoe while running around, so I went with oxfords instead. Fun fact - the shoes are called oxfords, and the details on it are called broguing. Although it seems they're somewhat interchangeable? 


black chiffon tee + black pom-pom trim shorts + leopard d'orsay flats
pros: doesn't show stain easily, slimming, accessorize to your hearts content
cons: a lot of black, flats can slip off, cannot sneak due to accessories clicking
wear to: girls' night out, eating out, date night
details: shirt - nordstrom (lush), shorts - urban outfitters (ecote), flats - steve madden



Some days, all black is the only way to go. I love how chic black on black is, and the leopard flats keep the outfit from being too dark. I would encourage lots of accessories in this outfit to make it more visually interesting as well.



I'd been in love with these leopard print flats ever since I first saw them on Youtuber Eva Gutowski's Instagram, and I finally got them during Black Friday last year! Steve Madden always has these surprise sale cards they give out in store, and I happened to get one for 30% off. Unfortunately, the shoes hurt my feet when I wear them for too long. They ripped up the backs of my heels very bad the first time, and it was slightly better the second time I coaxed myself into wearing them, but I still haven't been able to spend a whole day in them.



pink maxi shirt + white cropped sweater + t-strap sandals
pros: unshaved legs are ok, skirt flows behind you like a goddess, ultimate twirling power
cons: tripping is likely, wind can blow the skirt the wrong way, hard to dance
wear to: garden party, brunch, daytime date
details: skirt - forever21, sweater - h&m, sandals - sam edelman


While technically, a skirt is very similar to a dress, with a maxi skirt, you have no possibility of flashing anyone, and wardrobe malfunctions are limited. The flowy aspect can be challenging - it'll either flow behind you as you walk, or the wind will blow it so it sticks to the back of your legs in a not completely flattering way. 



In the summer, I swap out the sweater for a thinly striped crop top. This also dresses it down, and makes it perfect for school or work!



I wore this outfit to a ballet, and it was absolutely perfect. It was in the city at night, so it was a little chilly outside and in the theater, but the skirt covered my legs and kept them decently warm. It looked great with a tan leather jacket. 



Hopefully these outfits have proven you don't need to wear heels or a dress in order to look put together for special occasions! Do you have anything coming up you'd be able to wear outfits like these to? What's your go-to special occasion uniform?

Let me know in the comments!

xx

Angelina

p.s. have nothing even vaguely fancy? check out how you can get almost new clothes for super cheap here

Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment