Wednesday, December 16, 2015

i'm basically wearing a fancy blanket + book review

While I'm unsure of exactly what field I want to work in yet, I'm sure it'll be related to the arts or fashion. Both are difficult fields, and I've been reading books by women I admire to get a feel of how they reached their goals.

Along the way, I dress for success with my fancy scarf, aka a blanket (and not just because I forgot to take photos of the books before returning to the library).

Introducing Sophia Amoruso, Diane von Furstenburg, Mindy Kaling, and Kate Betts:

#GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso
This book blew me away, and it's one of those that leaves you feeling like you should go out and do something big! While Nasty Gal isn't one of my typical brands, it's undeniable it's risen in the ranks of mass retailers, and has quickly become a well known fashion house.

Amoruso seized opportunities along the way - she credits her success to a hernia. You'll have to read it to find the connection.

My Takeaway: Be aware of new platforms, be thrifty, be authentic and real.
Style: Autobiography, with a strong emphasis on how to become your own GirlBoss, and achieve your dreams.

Wearing: Forever 21 camel shawl, Hollister collared top, American Eagle jeggings, Sam Edelman Petty suede booties.

The Woman I Wanted To Be by Diane von Furstenburg
A beautifully written memoir. It reveals details about von Furstenburg's life that I hadn't known before; her mother, who was a Holocaust survivor, her own wild boarding school experiences, and the loves of her life. In contrast to #GIRLBOSS, this reads more like fiction, though it includes many historical tidbits, such as the rise of the first supermodels.

I found von Furstenburg's story to be reminiscent of a Gossip Girl storyline - full of drama, expensive things, and lots of attractive men. She actually married a prince, so it may not be a stretch to call her a real life Blair Waldorf.

My Takeaway: I didn't feel like I got too much out of it career wise, but it was fascinating to read, nonetheless.
Style: Autobiography, almost fictitious.


Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling
How can one not love Mindy Kaling? Out of all the women above, I can relate to her the most, and her voice is more humorous. More than once, her stories made me laugh out loud, and garnered strange looks from those nearby - especially when there is hot pink text that proclaims "I have the Angelina Jolie of vaginas".

There are few women in general in media or entertainment, much less women of color, and Kaling has a TV show with her name! Along with Constance Wu, she's one of my favorites.

My Takeaway: Work hard and don't settle.
Style: A collection of stories and thoughts, reads almost like a blog.



My Paris Dream by Kate Betts
I have a bit of an obsession with Paris and the stereotypical French woman (I'm not sure if any of it is true for the general population). I love the natural makeup, the food, and of course, the fashion! As I've always dreamed of living abroad for some time in France, Kate Betts' story about her own time there was eyeopening and engaging to read.

Betts describes her first few moments in Paris, her journey up the corporate ladder, and the people she encounters in a relatable and thoughtful way. I felt like I was watching a movie similar to Boyhood. 

My Takeaway: Life doesn't always take you where you think it will. Don't be afraid to make hard choices.
Style: Autobiography, with a cinematic feel. Not lacking in the sensory descriptions.


A Rude Awakening
This comes as I had recently had an experience with a female CEO whom I highly admired. Listening to her speeches and interactions with others, she seemed like someone who was a great mentor and willing to not only open doors for others, but to pull them through. However, when I talked to her, that was not the case.

While I'm not taking it personally, it's a stark contrast between what I hope to be like should I ever reach a position in which I can help others, especially women. What's the point of being at the top if you can't help others at the bottom?

Kudos to me for not naming this post "Bop to the Top".

What are some good books you've read lately? Who do you admire? What do you think makes a good leader?

xx

Angelina

Follow

p.s. my last book review post is here!

No comments:

Post a Comment